BSc in Electrical Engineering
|BSc in Electrical Engineering|
Level Of Qualification
|Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Electrical Engineering|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The Program is based on the major electrical engineering disciplines such as electric power generation and distribution, communication systems, electric circuits and electronic systems and control systems. The Program constitutes a balance between academic and the practical directions, i.e. the systems’ theoretical study and their implementation in real world applications. It prepares its graduates for direct employment as electrical engineers and lays the foundation for graduate studies in the field of electrical engineering.
Specialization in Renewable Energy Sources and Sustainable Energy Systems
The Department of Electrical Engineering, in addition to the general Electrical Engineering direction, offers the option to Electrical Engineering students to specialize in areas of Electrical Engineering that are of increasing importance in the Cyprus, as well as the international environment. To this end, the Department has established the Renewable Energy Sources and Sustainable Energy Systems specialization.
The aim of the specialization is to prepare students for careers and immediate contributions to the industry and society through the design, development, construction, application, operation and maintenance of renewable energy systems and the promotion of more sustainable living through the implementation of new technologies and innovations.
The language of instruction for both the general direction and the specialization is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Apply appropriate mathematical, science and engineering methods and use computer software to solve electrical engineering related problems.
- Use state-of-the-art Electronic Design Automation (EDA) software and hardware tools, as well as laboratory equipment to design, test and evaluate analogue and digital systems.
- Design, program, develop and evaluate electronic systems as well as automation systems based on PLCs and embedded systems, or integrated of-the-shelf components to meet defined and specified requirements.
- Analyze and design reliable analog and digital communication systems.
- Use analytical methods and modelling techniques to evaluate electrical engineering systems (control, communication, power, electronic) and components in terms of general quality attributes and possible trade-offs presented within the given problem.
- Evaluate the capabilities and limitations of existing and emerging technologies in the field of power generation and distribution using sustainable and renewable energy sources.
- Assess the capabilities and limitations of existing and emerging communication systems.
- Demonstrate awareness on the forefront of knowledge in the field of electrical engineering and on the emerging information and communication technologies.
- Demonstrate awareness on the role of engineers in society and the professional and ethical responsibilities of engineers.
- Retrieve and analyze information from different sources, including information retrieval through databases and on-line computer searches.
- Demonstrate competency in oral and written communication skills, as well as in the use of relevant computing technologies and tools.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program have the knowledge and skills required for the design, implementation, and administration of electrical engineering systems. They fulfil the requirements for employment in the public or private sectors as electrical engineers, and they acquire working privileges in the areas of power production and distribution, electrical installations, communication systems design and maintenance. They can also be employed in the industry in areas related to automation systems.
The graduates of the Program can also be employed as educators in public or secondary schools with technical direction.
The graduates of the program are eligible to register to the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK).