Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||BIODIVERSITY AND EDUCATION|
|Course Unit Code||ESD507|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- The content of the term “biodiversity”. |
- Aspects of biodiversity. The beginning and evolution of biodiversity.
- Biodiversity as a sustainability value.
- The value of biodiversity (ecological, ethical, economic, medical, agricultural, etc.)
- Main threats for biodiversity.
- Biodiversity conservation efforts at the national, regional and international level.
- The biodiversity of Cyprus: richness, threats, conservation strategies
- Characteristics of Cyprus biodiversity
- Education for biodiversity: aims, objectives and pedagogical approaches.
- Biodiversity through the National Curriculum of all levels of formal education.
- Biodiversity and conflict issues: Genetically modified species, invasive species etc.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||This module is delivered through lectures, experiential workshops, visits (e.g. Athalassa and Troodos National Forest Parks, Environmental Education and Environmental Information Centres, botanical gardens, protected areas etc.) and field studies.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|