Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||PRODUCT DESIGN AND INNOVATION|
|Course Unit Code||MEM511|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Engineering Management (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents|| - Product development process tools. Product development teams. Product development planning|
- Understanding customer needs. Organizing and prioritizing customer needs
- Product specifications. Establishing target specification. Setting product specifications
- Concept specification, selection and testing
- Product architecture. Types of modularity. Product change. Establishing the architecture
- Industrial design. The industrial design process. Management of the industrial design. Assessing the quality of industrial design
- Design for manufacturing and assembly. Manufacturing cost analysis. Reduce the cost for assembly. Reduce the cost of supporting production. Design for the environment. Techniques to reduce environmental impact
- Rapid prototyping technologies and techniques. Planning for prototypes.
- Patents and intellectual property
- Industrial Experiences of product development. Innovative Products
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|| Individual or small group modeling performed with the use of common industrial packages such as Autocad, Solidworks, Cosmos, MDesign. Design and construction of prototypes using advanced Rapid prototyping techniques.|
Project: Use special software to analyze and optimize a real case study. Investigate the influence of all factors described in the case study.
Readings: The students are expected to read and review several papers from relevant scientific journals.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|