MA in Interdisciplinary Design
MA in Interdisciplinary Design
Level Of Qualification
|Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|School of Architecture, Fine and Applied Arts|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The MA in Interdisciplinary Design program encourages students to challenge and explore conventional boundaries of various art and design disciplines, borrowing and experimenting creatively. Interdisciplinary methodologies are investigated and applied aiming in the advancement and development of new and novel design discourses. The program encourages and respects critical theory as well as in depth understanding of material and the practice of making. Furthermore it offers a close relation with the professional industry and provides opportunities for collaboration on real life local and international projects.
The program is anchored in the area of Design, allowing each individual student to follow the areas of expertise provided by two major streams, which reflect the needs of upcoming new industries:
- Creative Practice for Applied Design
- Creative Practice for Communication Design
In the steam of Creative Practice for Applied Design students will be introduced to space and form alternatives, curatorial and displaying practices, object and materiality issues, installation and art aesthetics. In the stream of Creative Practice for Communication Design students will be introduced to new media, moving image, animation and web design, alternative visualizing methods, interactivity and materiality issues. In both cases students will be also introduced to the technologies that precede these topics. Students attending both streams will have the opportunity to work on real life projects, work and co-operate with active professionals from the design industry, deliver projects for clients coming from the public or private sector, as well as investigate their professional opportunities in a network of design related individuals, agencies and industries.
Furthermore, research will be promoted by means of encouraging the development of collaboration between the university and other academic and social partners on a local, regional (Mediterranean) and international level. The establishment of such networks is critical in acquiring experience, achieving effective exploitation of research results, resulting in good practice examples and innovation.
The program aspires to bring together students from diverse backgrounds that will have the opportunity to interact and develop skills necessary to envision a rapidly growing interdisciplinary culture.
Committing to a balanced input of theory and practice, the program fosters professional initiative, self-motivation and ambition, desire for positive social change, cultural responsibility and environmental ethics as well as imaginative, out-of-the-box creativity.
Tailored to the individual needs and skills of the students, the program gives them the opportunity to develop creatively, to find new experimental applications of their ideas and meet their individual aspirations. Through a series of self initiated projects and personal tutorials the students are enabled to develop their creative identity and individuality. In doing so students are encouraged in bringing into context their real life experiences, skills and practice.
The vision of the MA program is to motivate, inspire and encourage students to approach design through non-conventional understandings, beyond predictable applications and expectations of what design might be and push the development into new forms and applications borrowing expertise from graphic, interior and media design as well as the fine arts. The program aspires for students to explore that area between design and art which will grand them the opportunity to develop their thinking, ideas and even their personalities beyond conventional standards.
The specific goals of the program are:
- to develop critical awareness of contemporary design and acquire specialized knowledge of advanced applied design practice
- to obtain in depth comprehension of various interacting design disciplines and challenge their supposed boundaries, in order to investigate and experiment with interdisciplinary methodologies aiming at the advancement and development of design discourse
- to develop critical thinking and analytical skills on contemporary design theory and research
- to develop, principal and specialist skills, techniques and practices
- to be able to apply this knowledge directly to complex applications
- to develop in depth knowledge to sustain and foster creative identity and originality, though their individual practice
- to communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility
- to critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems within the design industries and the domain addressed by the program, incorporating the marketing approach in order to capitalize on the ideas developed
- to plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development in a specialist area within the area of design, demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding, initiative and ingenuity.
The language of instruction is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Assimilate the philosophy and values which condition interdisciplinary design and to understand the processes and factors that lead to its development;
- Analyse and discuss the contemporary global, regional and local design issues and exhibit critical and creative thinking about their impact on aesthetic and cultural activities;
- Demonstrate skills and experiences necessary to involve in practising design within the areas of two dimensional and three dimensional space, form/ function and formation, screen and print/moving and static platforms, traditional and experimental techniques, design materiality and immateriality
- Apply the methodologies, discourses and analysis needed to enforce interdisciplinary design applications, thus achieving high level of execution and finishing
- Utilize effectively state-of-the-art software tools embracing the impact of technology and new media in the area of contemporary interdisciplinary design
- Promote the development of practices which facilitate sustainability, social and cultural perspectives
- Manage information about the main local and international market opportunities and channel directly their professional practices in unique and innovative channels
- Apply the necessary knowledge so that they can become chartered in the professional arena and association;
- Demonstrate the ability for using research results in education, within their professional environments and in society.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The majority of the employment opportunities lie within the local creative industries. Graduates from the MA Interdisciplinary Design will go into managerial creative posts such as Creative Coordinators, Design Managers or Art Directors in Graphic Design agencies, Interior Architecture, Art and Design related posts, as well as the media and will be working towards hybrid forms of visual and social research and creative production.