MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering
|MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering|
Level Of Qualification
|Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Electrical Engineering|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The proposed MSc program places special emphasis on scientific research. It seeks to foster and embrace entirely new ideas and novel approaches to scientific discovery in the field of fossil fuels exploration and offshore constructions.
Further, the various areas of emphasis in the program aim to guide students into fields of study that are considered to be new in the Eastern Mediterranean region and offer significant opportunities for engaging in innovative research activities and learning. Specifically, issues incorporated in courses such as “Computational Mechanics and Applications”, “System Dynamics and Control“, “Process Modeling and Simulation“, “Analysis and Design of Offshore Mooring Structures“, provide important opportunities for MSc students to be involved with the various research activities that take place in Frederick University, as well as in other institutions worldwide. Through such course-interactions, students will also acquire valuable experience by developing and implementing their own research projects.
The fact that issues related to fossil fuels exploration have still not been investigated in Cyprus offers a unique opportunity to students to conduct research that can result in useful deliverables regarding the promotion and establishment of energy in all educational and social levels.
Similarly, the implementation of the MSc program is expected to enhance the existing opportunities for research concerning, sustainable construction, fossil energy resources exploitation, as well as social, political, environmental and economical dimensions of energy exploration and offshore construction. The interdisciplinary approach of the program will also be reflected in the creation of interdisciplinary research groups, facilitated by the program operation. These groups will be formed by local and international scientists and specialists contributing to the proposed program. Their knowledge will also be engaged for the development of competitive research proposals and establishment of multiple collaborations with other academic and research institutions, for obtaining research funds from local, European and international funding agencies.
Furthermore, the necessity for a chance of Cypriots to specialize and be involved in the Oil & Gas & Offshore Engineering industry with the latest discoveries of Oil & Gas in the Exclusive Economic Zone of Cyprus provides a competitive advantage and a real necessity to train engineers to be employed in this rapidly new and growing industry here in Cyprus.
Specializations in the MSc in Oil & Gas Engineering and Offshore Engineering
Overall, the proposed program is unique in Cyprus, addresses important needs of the society generated by the advancements in the energy sector and fossil fuel discoveries in Cyprus, provides unique and invaluable training and knowledge to young scientists in the domain of downstream, midstream and upstream oil and gas industry, and opens significant and substantial research opportunities for growth and specialisation in the specific domain.
The program covers the full breadth of concentrations related to the industry and this is reflected in the three specializations it maintains. For each specialization different program structures are maintained so as to reflect the different needs.
- Oil & Gas Engineering specialization, with emphasis in the downstream
- OffShore Engineering specialization, with emphasis in the midstream
- Petroleum Engineering specialization, with emphasis in the upstream
The language of instruction is English and the program is academic.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of the Oil & Gas and Offshore engineering and of the technological and financial evolution of the relevant industry.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the content and philosophy of the European and Cypriot legislative framework on Oil & Gas and Offshore industry and to relate to the processes and factors that lead to its development.
- Explain the contemporary global, regional and local Oil & Gas and Offshore engineering issues and develop systemic, critical and creative thinking about their impact on economic activities.
- Demonstrate skills and experiences necessary for engineers to lead the fields of oil & gas extraction, processing, storage and exploitation, in efficient and clean power generation technologies and of rational use of energy.
- Demonstrate knowledge and competences related with the procedures, instrumentation and analysis needed to enforce pertinent legislation, enhance the issuance of energy-related certification, and better facilitate the environmental labelling procedure and perform feasibility analysis.
- Demonstrate awareness on safety and environmental concerns surrounding the oil & gas industry.
- Describe the organisational, political and entrepreneurial aspects of the industry.
- Use effectively state-of-the-art software tools for oil & gas engineering and offshore technologies.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering is a new postgraduate educational field in Cyprus. However, recent discoveries of hydrocarbon reserves, such as natural gas and potential petroleum reserves in the Economic Zone of Cyprus, as well as in neighbouring countries have sparked immense interest in the above area, providing Cyprus with a unique opportunity to become an energy exporter for the European Union and beyond.
In turn this program has been formed to equip new and older graduate engineers with the necessary technical expertise and knowledge to be able to immerse themselves in this industry, by covering all midstream and downstream, production, and downstream aspects of Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering.
The MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore engineering program is of a multidisciplinary nature, with Oil & Gas Engineering encompassing Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, and Environmental Engineering, and with Offshore Engineering encompassing Civil, Mechanical and Marine Engineering.
The above program consists of three directions which are reflected in the three specializations, namely
- the Downstream Oil & Gas engineering including, processing, production and exploitation of oil & gas
- the Midstream Oil & Gas engineering including systems and structures such as fixed and floating platforms, undersea robots, pipelines and other underwater equipment.
- the Upstream Oil & Gas engineering which includes elements of geomechanics, petroleum formations and reservoir characterizations, and drilling and well engineering.
Finally, the MSc candidates, having graduated from the MSc program, will have realistic and many opportunities to work in the oil and gas industry here in Cyprus and in the Middle East, especially now with the rapid oil & gas discoveries in the Mediterranean region.
The graduates of the Program have the knowledge and skills required for the design, implementation, maintenance and administration of oil & gas and offshore engineering systems related to their specialization.
Examples of employment for the graduates of the MSc include:
- Inspectors at drill sites for health and safety and environmental purposes
- Engineers at the processing plants (Process Engineers)
- Facilities Managers
- Energy/Power regulators
- Engineers for offshore structures and other supporting infrastructure (pipelines etc.)
- Drilling and Reservoir Engineers and Supervisors
- Technical Process Safety and Risk Engineers
- Electrical and instrumentation engineers
- Reservoir planning engineers
- Policy makers (public sector)
- Energy service
- Electricity Authority of Cyprus
- Public Business of Natural Gas (ΔΕΦΑ)