MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||PROCESS MODELING AND SIMULATION|
|Course Unit Code||MOE505|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering (Required Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
Module A – ProcessDesign
· Design hierarchy in process development.
· Design and integration of chemical reactors.
· Design and selection of separation trains.
· Integration of reaction and separationsystems.
· Design with purge and recycle streams.
· Trade-off and Parametric Analysis.
· Design for Environmental performance andsafety.
Module B – IndustrialSimulation
· Introduction to flowsheeting.
· Model-based approaches and methodology.
· Introduction to commercial simulators.
· Selection of unit operations.
· Integration and simulation of flowsheets.
· Selection of property and thermodynamicmodels.
· Project work – development of an industrialflowsheets.
Module C – ProcessIntegration
· Basic principles of process and energyintegration.
· Design and targeting of heat recoverynetworks.
· Design and targeting of utility networks.
· Process modifications.
· Integration of simple and complexdistillation.
· Data extraction.
· Total Site Analysis.
· Project work – retrofitting an industrialprocess.
Computer LaboratoryComputerlabs (3 lectures of 3 hours each) to familiarize with commercial simulationsoftware.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The taught part ofcourse is delivered to the students by means of lectures, conducted with thehelp of computer presentations. Lecture notes and presentations are availablethrough the web for students to use in combination with the textbooks. Lecturesare supplemented with assignments aiming to help the understanding of thetaught subjects. Moreover, a laboratory session introduces the student to theuse of process simulators as tools for process design.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|