MSc in Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||FROM ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION TO EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT: A THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK|
|Course Unit Code||ESD502|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Required Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- Historical development of Environmental Education through the perspective of the key documents and declarations that lead to its recognition as an individual scientific field. |
- Environmental Education’s evolution to EESD: Differences and common ground.
- Analysis of the educational and ideological currents that contributed to the development of EESD
- Environment, environmental issues, and the concept of Sustainable Development: analysis of their historical formulation and their current ideological structure.
- Environmental literacy.
- Aims, principles and characteristics of EESD. The role of EESD concerning social, environmental, economic and political changes leading to Sustainable Development.
- EESD in formal education (Pre-primary, Primary, Secondary Education): International initiatives and the Cypriot reality.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
The theoretical part of the course (content of the taught concepts) is delivered by means of lectures, documentaries viewing and discussing as well as workshops engaging students in collaborative learning. Arrangements are also made for one outdoors study (field work) for acquiring experiences in the field.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|