|Course Unit Title||OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT AND MARKETING IN HEALTH SYSTEMS AND SERVICES|
|Course Unit Code||MHM524|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Health Management (Required Courses) - PhD Health Management (Postgraduate level Courses) - |
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||10|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
- They have developed their knowledge about the business research and its applications in the field of health, in order to be able to evaluate specific implementation options of mathematical models in the administrative decision-making.
- Distinguish the contribution of Operational Research in management science.
- Understand and analyze the importance of the evaluation of health services by applying methods of quantitative analysis.
- Understand the basic concepts related to linear programming.
- Understand the concerns raised during the human resource management and planning production programs or health services.
- Understand the factors that should be taken into account in the evaluation of health services using methods of operations research / quantitative.
- Enhance the knowledge and competence in business plan development and implementation of specific assessment tools of health services.
- Understand the basic characteristics of health services and how they are affected the marketers decisions in creating marketing strategies.
- They understand the basic principles of marketing and the importance of marketing for healthcare providers.
- They are able to identify and assess the key elements of the marketing mix (marketing mix extended) any health service
- Recognize the characteristics and peculiarities of the users of health services.
- Understand the concepts of segmentation, targeting and positioning, and the procedure to be followed by a healthcare provider to offer services and products that meet the needs of each market.
- Recognize the importance of developing relationships with service users and build long term loyalty bonds between provider and user.
- Understand the concerns raised during the reserve policy health units.
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- Knowledge of the origin and nature of Operational Research. |
- Knowledge of the contribution of Operational Research to administrative decisions.
- To help students understand the basic concepts of quantitative analysis and application of the methodology.
- Understanding of the basic principles and assumptions of the linear programming.
- To help students to practice analyzing and addressing real business problems and case studies.
- Deepening the application of linear programming method to regulate labor relations issues.
- Deepening the application of linear programming method in hospital inventory management unit.
- Deepening the implementation of the method Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) for evaluating the performance of health units.
- To help students to identify and evaluate the factors that determine the operation of agencies and health units.
- To equip students with the ability of critical and interdisciplinary analysis of individual functions of the units and health organizations.
- The development of appropriate knowledge and skills to develop a business plan agency
- Understand the main principles of marketing as they can be applied in the field of health services.
- Ability to develop marketing plans having regard to the individual characteristics of health sector
- Understand the importance of the study of consumer behavior, especially in the field of health services and the use of marketing research.
- Understand the concepts of segmentation, targeting and positioning.
- Ability to understand and develop a marketing mix for an organization of health services.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
- Καθαράκη Μ.: «Ποσοτική Ανάλυση στην Άσκηση Διοίκησης». Σελ 67-78, Εκδόσεις Αθ. Σταμούλης, Αθήνα, 2007
- Καθαράκη Μ.: Ο Γραμμικός Προγραμματισμός στην επίλυση επιχειρησιακών προβλημάτων. Πανεπιστημιακές Σημειώσεις, Σελ 12-17, ΕΚΠΑ, Αθήνα 2008
- Katharaki M. (2008) Approaching the management of hospital units with an operation research technique. The case of thirty two Greek Obstetric and Gynaecology Public Units. Health Policy, 85(1): 19-31
- Οικονόμου, Γ.Σ., Γεωργίου Α.Κ. Επιχειρησιακή έρευνα για τη λήψη διοικητικών αποφάσεων. Κεφ 1. Σελ 10-26, 1η έκδοση. Εκδόσεις Μπένου Γ., 2011.
- Hillier F.S., Lieberman G.J. Introduction to Operations Research. Pages 1-6. 7th edition. McGraw-Hill Series, 2001.
- Cochran J.J. Pedagogy in Operations Research: Where has the discipline been, where is it now and where should it go? ORiON , 25. (2): 161-184
- Allison M., Kaye J. Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations. Pages 1-30. 2nd edition. John Wiley and Sons Inc, 2005
- Αποστολίδης, Π., Sheafferm, T. και Κιουλαφά, Κ.Κ. (1988) Μια αρχή για το Μάρκετινγκ υγείας. Σπουδαί. 38 (3-4), σσ. 566-583
- Σαράφης, Π. (2011) Το marketing στις Υπηρεσίες Υγείας. Αποτίμηση – Τάσεις – Προοπτικές. Αθήνα: ΒΗΤΑ Ιατρικές Εκδόσεις
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The teaching of the theoretical part includes lectures, case-studies, and work groups to better understand the theoretical units regarding operational management and marketing in health systems and services. A whiteboard, power point, pictures, case-studies and work groups are used to assist teaching, in order to achieve the better understanding and comprehension of theory.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|