|Course Unit Title||HEALTH ECONOMICS AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE HEALTH SERVICES|
|Course Unit Code||MHM525|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Health Management (Required Courses) - PhD Health Management (Postgraduate level Courses) - |
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||10|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
- Understand in depth the impact of the health sector in the formation of aggregates of the economy.
- Identify the causes and results of the organization and financing of the health care sector in modern societies, in relation to social inequalities.
- Analyze and develop strategic planning of health services at local and national level.
- They use their knowledge for the effective organization and management of health services and programs.
- Understand the function of the drug market and the importance of cost-effective exercise leadership.
- Apply microeconomic tools for understanding the economic dimension of health problems and care.
- Use the methods of economic analysis to investigate the parameters that affect the configuration of the health status of the population and the differences between developed and developing countries.
- They design and implement methods of economic evaluation for decision making effective and efficient operation of health services.
- Have full and clear understanding of the methods of financing health services and specificities of the institutional and socio-economic environment in which the activity of health units.
- Understand the way in which financial accounting information can be used in business analysis, control and decision making.
- They are familiar with dealing with the problems of finding and rational management of funds to achieve the objectives of a Health organization.
- They understand the subject of a Financial Service Agency Health and tools used in making investment decisions - working capital - financial, risk, dividend policy.
- They are familiar with modern methods of financial management associated with the introduction of innovative forms of organized care and compensation of suppliers based on similar diagnostic categories.
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- An understanding of the purpose and necessity of tools Health Economics, with reference to modern economists of Health, and their respective schools of thought. |
- The analysis of micro-economic circuit in health (demand-offeer-purchase of products and services) on the basis of the principles, objectives and functioning of health systems in the Financing and Evaluation of Health Services.
- Deepening the basic processes and principles of financial management of health units (HUs), the concepts and elements of an accounting system, budgeting, cost accounting, financial statements and ratios.
- The financial planning and the application of appropriate methods of economic management in health facilities, using appropriate techniques, appropriate to the environment of HUs.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
- Κυριόπουλος Γ., 2007, Οικονομικά της Υγείας, Σειρά Τόμων, Εκδ. Παπαζήση
- Σούλης Σ., 2002, Οικονομική της Υγείας, Εκδ. Παπαζήση
- Υφαντόπουλος Γ., 2006, Τα οικονομικά της Υγείας, Τυπωθήτω (Δάρδανος)
- Δουμουλάκης Γ., Πολύζος Ν., Χρυσοχοϊδης Γ., 2000, Οικονομική και Χρηματοδοτική Διοίκηση / Διαχείριση Νοσοκομείων, έκδοση ΕΑΠ, Πάτρα
- Ξανθάκης Μ και Αλεξάκης Χ., Χρηματοοικονομική Ανάλυση των Επιχειρήσεων, Εκδόσεις Σταμούλης 2008, σελ. 110-146.
- Morris S, Devlin N, and Parkin (2007) Economic Analysis in Health Care. Willey & sons
- Ζweifel P. and Breyer F., 2007, Health Economics, Oxford University Press, USA.
- Perrin J., 1991, Resource Management in the NHS, Chapman and Hall, London
- Πολύζος Ν., 1998, Αξιολόγηση της Αποδοτικότητας των Νοσοκομειακών Υπηρεσιών στην Ελλάδα, ΤΥΠΕΤ
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
The teaching of the theoretical part includes lectures, case-studies, and work groups to better understand the theoretical units regarding health economics and financial management of public and private health services. A whiteboard, power point, pictures, case-studies and work groups are used to assist teaching, in order to achieve the better understanding and comprehension of theory.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|