Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||ORGANISING SUSTAINABLE SCHOOLS: PRINCIPLES AND PROCESSES|
|Course Unit Code||ESD512|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||1. The concept of the sustainable school: Explore the factors and causes that contributed to its development.|
2. The initiation of “Place Based Education” and “holistic approach” as fundamental principles for the promotion of EESD in schools, local communities and the Curriculum.
3. Analysis and practical implementation of important qualitative criteria that should be accounted for, during the process of orienting a school towards EESD. (The qualitative criteria correspond to a) teaching and learning processes, b) school policy and educational policy, c) the school and its external relations and collaboration networks).
4. Step by step development of the “local sustainable agenda”.
5. The role of the key-stakeholders for the shaping of sustainable schools: (school principal, unions and organisations, local community, parents, local and peripheral institutions, NGOs).
6. Critical theorisation of the factors that will lead to the achievement of sustainable schools through the study of international programmes and critical analysis of relevant scientific articles.
7. Analysis of key environmental and sustainable development issues such as energy resources and water, transportation, waste management, production and consumption models, sustainable design of buildings, sustainable development at a local level, and examination of ways of integrating these issues in the National Curriculum of Cyprus.
8. Design and development of educational units about the environment and sustainable development, based on approaches used for the integration of EESD in the curriculum.
9. Sustainable School evaluation process should account for: a) The Curriculum (teaching and learning, students’ achievements and welfare), b) School Unit (school policy and practice, used for the continuous improvement of the school with respect to EESD), and c) Community (the wider impact on society and collaboration networks).
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||Module is delivered through lectures, discussion and experiential workshops.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|