Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||ENVIRONMENTAL COMMUNICATION AND THE MEDIA|
|Course Unit Code||ESD514|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- The Media as a social institution and their interaction with other social institutions and authorities. The integration of the Media in social structures. The media as reproducers of social relations and introducers of social modernity. The case of the Cypriot society.|
- The Media as bureaucratic organizations of managing and disseminating information in the new environment of communications.
- The process of setting the Media agenda and the factors affecting it. Special emphasis on environmental issues.
- Evaluation and ranking criteria on Media agenda. Environmental issues and their presence in the press and the television.
- Environmental communication and its objectives, as defined by European and local organisations.
- The construction of communication strategies to promote environmental policies and Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Using the media to help raising public awareness and participation in resolving environmental issues.
- Media’s impact on environmental policy decision making.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||This module is delivered through lectures, discussion, literature review and analysis of scientific articles, audiovisual aids, workshops and visits.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|