MSc in Conservation and Restoration of Historical Structures and Monuments
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||CONSTRUCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF HISTORICAL BUILDING SYSTEMS I|
|Course Unit Code||MACOM02|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Conservation and Restoration of Historical Structures (Required Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||10|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
· Identification, Documentation and Analysis of Historical Building Construction Systems.
· Pathology and Vulnerability of Historical Building Construction Systems (Structures and Sites).
· Description and identification of the typically encountered Historical Building Construction Systems (H.B.C.S) in the wider region of the Eastern Mediterranean Basin.
· References to traditional building materials and the corresponding structural members.
· Local Historical Construction Systems (L.H.C.S.).
· The particularities of (H.B.C.S) and (L.H.C.S.) with reference to their typical anti-seismic behavior from prehistory to the 20th century.
· Definition of the terms 'Pathology' and 'Vulnerability' of (H.B.C.S) and their correlation with the occurrence of damages. The process of weakening during the structure’s life.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
The taught part of the course is delivered to students by means of lectures, conducted by electronic presentations. Lecture notes and pictures are given to students in electronic form.
All course materials will be available to students through the platform e-Learning that is available at the university.
Visits to monuments and traditional buildings: Τhe aim of these visits is to gain experience in the field of identification of the construction systems.
Assignment: Each student should prepare an individual or a group work in collaboration with the tutors of the course.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|