MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||ENVIRONMENTAL LEGISLATION & IMPACT, HEALTH & SAFETY|
|Course Unit Code||MOE507|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Engineering Management (Required Courses) - MSc Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering (Elective Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
Module A - Environmental Legislation & EIA LegalProcedures
· Laws and RegulatoryFrameworks for Environmental Impact Assessment
o EuropeanUnion Directives.
o NationalLaws and Standards.
· Environmental ImpactAssessment Process in the European / Cyprus Context.
· Roles andResponsibilities of Groups Involved in the EIA System.
Module B - Basic Concepts & Methodological Approaches
· Basic concept of EIA:Initial environmental Examination.
· Elements of EIA.
· Factors affecting EIAImpact evaluation and analysis.
· Preparation of Environmental Base map.
· Classification ofenvironmental parameters.
· EIA Methodologies:introduction.
· Criteria for theselection of EIA Methodology.
· EIA Methods
o environmentalrisk assessment.
Module C - Technical Components of Environmental ImpactAssessment
· Basic conceptspertaining to an EIA for:
o MarineEnvironment (i.e. coastal, offshore).
o TerrestrialEnvironment (i.e. soil, water).
o Faunaand Flora (marine / terrestrial).
· Impact prediction.
· Assessment of Impactsignificance.
Module D – Mitigation measures
· Identification and Incorporation ofmitigation measures in EIA.
· Emergency ResponsePlan.
· Health and safetymeasures.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The taught part of course is delivered to the students by means of lectures, conducted with the help of computer presentations. Lecture notes and presentations are available through the web for students to use in combination with the textbooks.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|