MSc in Structural Engineering
|MSc in Structural Engineering|
Level Of Qualification
|Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Civil Engineering|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The MSc in Structural Engineering program of study provides the opportunity to Civil, and other relevant engineering degree holders a fast-track approach towards a professional career in the area of Structural Engineering as it applies to Civil Engineering structures. This is a highly concise and practical program geared towards providing the state-of-the-art skills necessary for immediate entering or reentering practice at the highest level. The MSc in Structural Engineering aims to provide further technical knowledge in the area of structural engineering and it is intended to provide the educational platform to encourage the development of competent, confident, articulate, numerate and inquisitive postgraduates who are able to link theory with practice; hence postgraduates can look forward to playing a leading role in the profession providing for the safety and welfare of the public.
The program covers fundamental and modern structural engineering subjects providing a combination of analytical and design topics as well as experimental techniques and the use of computers reflecting current and likely future practice. The analytical work will include the theoretical framework of the matrix methods and the use of modern structural analysis software leading to the development of problem solving skills for the analysis of complex engineering structures. The design-related subjects will be taught in accordance with the latest European and national regulatory and legal framework (Euro codes), which provide the most up-to-date specialized knowledge and technical competences.
The successful completion of the program requires the completion of a thesis covering a topic related to structural engineering. The research activities involve combinations of experimental, numerical and theoretical work. Research will be promoted by means of encouraging the development of collaboration networks between the university and other academic and social partners on a local, regional (Mediterranean) and international level. The establishment of such networks is critical as a means of acquiring experience, achieving effective exploitation of research results, good practice examples and innovation.
The language of instruction is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Acquire the ability and skills to analyze and design civil engineering structures as professional Structural Engineers
- Provide the engineering and scientific background for further studies or research
- Provide further knowledge of engineering principles and develop an ability to interpret and evaluate structural engineering problems
- Obtain an in depth comprehension of the European and national regulatory and legal framework (Euro codes and National Annexes)
- Develop detailed knowledge on the assessment of the structural integrity of buildings
- Understand the techniques of structural modelling and use a significant range of analysis and design software skills
- Understand the properties and applications of modern materials, equipment and methods of construction of civil engineering structures
- Evaluate the dynamic and earthquake behavior of structures
- Design and create innovative structural configurations
- Plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development within the context of structural engineering
- Critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems
- Communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility
- Be capable of using research results in education, within their professional environments and in society
- Work independently to acquire knowledge, review and evaluate current research results and conduct individual research
- Be able to gather information about the main local and international funding opportunities for participating in research consortiums and funded research
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The MSc in Structural Engineering is developed to meet the needs for education in the field of structural engineering by providing the skills needed to key professionals, who are or will be active in the private sector, in governmental institutions and local authorities and as consultant engineers.
Specifically, the proposed program will provide the skills for:
- Engineers who have recently completed their Bachelor studies in Civil Engineering or a related engineering discipline and seek a higher and focused education before entering the market
- Engineers who have recently completed their Bachelor studies in civil engineering or a related engineering discipline and seek to get involved in research and acquire an MSc before pursuing a PhD degree
- Engineers who wish to engage in consulting in structural engineering
- Professionals with experience in the field, who wish to extend their knowledge and place emphasis on the topics covered by the programme
- Professionals from public and semi-public organisations, whose work is related to structural engineering and related legislation