BSc in Electrical Engineering
|BSc in Electrical Engineering|
Level Of Qualification
|Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Informatics|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The Program aims to develop graduates with in-depth theoretical and technical knowledge in the main domains of Electrical Engineering. The courses offered, are strongly supported by relevant laboratory infrastructure and constitute a balance between theoretical and practical study in the core domains of Electrical Engineering and their implementation in real world applications. Furthermore, the Program prepares its graduates for direct employment and successful career as electrical engineers and lays the foundation for further graduate studies.
The main objectives of the Program are to:
- educate the students and equip them with competent skills and experience in the engineering design process and the solution of engineering problems, related to generation transmission and distribution of Electric Power via conventional or renewable energy sources, Analogue and Digital Electronic Systems, Telecommunication Systems and Automation and Control Systems
- involve the students in research activities in key technology fields and help them to acquire the required knowledge and develop the necessary skills that will allow them adapt and evolve in the fast evolving discipline of Electrical Engineering and pursue further graduate studies,
- help students develop the transferable skills needed to ensure a successful career in the field of Electrical Engineering,
- prepare the students for direct employment after graduation by integrating theory with practice, through activities like work placement and the preparation for certification exams,
- prepare students for further graduate studies by helping them acquire the required knowledge and develop the necessary skills.
Specialization in Renewable Energy Sources and Sustainable Energy Systems
In addition to the General Electrical Engineering direction, the specialization of Renewable Energy Sources and Sustainable Energy Systems is offered for Electrical Engineering students aiming to prepare them for career and immediate contribution to the industry and society in the above field, through the design, development, construction, application, operation and maintenance of renewable energy systems and the promotion of more sustainable living through the implementation of new technologies and innovations.
The language of instruction for both the general direction and the specialization is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Use facts and data and apply appropriate mathematical, science and engineering methods to identify, formulate, analyze issues or make decisions within the context of the Electrical engineering discipline.
- Use analytical methods and modelling techniques to evaluate electrical engineering systems (control, communication, power, electronic) and components in terms of general quality attributes and possible trade-offs presented within the given problem.
- Analyse and design reliable analogue and digital communication systems and demonstrate awareness on the capabilities and limitations of existing and emerging communication systems.
- Evaluate the capabilities and limitations of existing and emerging technologies in the field of power generation and distribution using sustainable and renewable energy sources.
- Demonstrate awareness on the forefront of knowledge in the field of Automation and Control Systems.
- Demonstrate awareness on the role of engineers in society and the professional and ethical responsibilities of engineers.
- Retrieve, analyze and evaluate information from different sources, including information retrieval through databases and on-line computer searches.
- Demonstrate competency in oral, written and graphical communication skills, as well as in the use of relevant computing technologies and tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with others in order to carry out a team task.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice, through laboratory experiments and industrial placement.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program have the knowledge and skills required for the design, implementation, and administration of electrical engineering systems. They fulfil the requirements for employment in the public or private sectors as electrical engineers, and they acquire working privileges in the areas of power production and distribution, electrical installations, communication systems design and maintenance and in areas of the industry related to automation systems. The graduates of the program can also be employed as educators in public or secondary schools with technical direction and are eligible to register to the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK) in both "Electrical Engineering" and "Electronic Engineering" specialisations.