MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||INTRODUCTION TO OIL & GAS AND OFFSHORE ENGINEERING|
|Course Unit Code||MOE500|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Engineering Management (Required Courses) - MSc Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering (Required Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
Module A - Introduction to conventional andalternative energy sources
· Fossil fuels (Coal,Oil, Gas).
· Renewable energysources (Solar, Wind, Biomass, Geothermal Hydro, Tidal and Wave).
· Hydrogen and HydrogenFuel Cells.
Module B - Fuelcombustion (Coal, Oil, Gas, Hydrogen)
· Chemical composition.
· Complete andincomplete combustion reactions.
· Enthalpy and freeenergy of reaction.
· Chemical reactionthermodynamics.
· Calorific value.
· Adiabatic flametemperature.
· Carbon dioxide andcombustion byproducts (NOx, SO2, dust).
· Exhaust gases, gasemissions and purification.
Module C - Oil& Gas exploration (Onshore and Offshore)
· Geological surveys.
· Onshore and offshoreseismology.
Module D - Oil & Gas extraction
· Crude oil.
· Natural Gas.
Module E - Oil & Gas processing and production
· Midstream anddownstream productionfacilities.
· Typical configurations each component of the processingtrain.
· Basic sizing criteria.
· Principles of gas processing to sales gas specification.
Module F – Introduction to Offshore Structures
· Fixed Structures.
· Floating Structures.
Module G – Basics on Marine Environment
· Physicaland chemical properties of sea water.
· Thesalinity of the oceans.
· Temperatureof the oceans.
· Densityof sea water.
Module H – Introduction to oceanographic measuring devices and methods
· Oceanographic measuring instruments. Workingprinciples.
· Commercial measuring devices.
· Long term offshore data acquisition.
· Data link and communications. Data loggers.
· Data analysis, handling, long-term storage andretrieve.
· Construction elements for developing simple subseameasuring devices.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||
The taught part of course is delivered to the students by means of lectures, conducted with the help of computer presentations. Lecture notes and presentations will be available through the web for students to use in combination with the textbooks.Lectures will be supplemented by homework assignments and readings.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|