Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||SUSTAINABLE URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING |
|Course Unit Code||MES572|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Sustainable Energy Systems (Electives Courses) - |
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
- Discuss on the objectives of environmental planning and green cities.
- Understand the main principles of the European policy on sustainable urban development.
- Argue on the importance of the energy efficient cities, tackling climate change and combating urban sprawl.
- Identify tool kits and best practices of urban governance as regards social spatial cohesion, cultural preservation and urban design.
- Describe the principles of environmental design of public spaces and the urban green.
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
This course will cater to discussions on environmental planning and design of a sustainable built environment from theory to implementation. At first there is a briefing on the role of planning in promoting sustainable urban development. European legislation and policy documents towards sustainable urban development and project funding is also approached.The relation of urban form, design and development features with energy efficient cities and sustainable mobility is revealed. The issues of resilient built environment in terms of local economy, social welfare and cultural heritage are stressed under the prism of urban design concepts. Public space and urban green as the facilitator of environmental planning is conclusively underlined. Theory emphasizes also on relevant statutory, applied policies and guidelines in the EU countries.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
- Weber, R. Crane, R. (2015) The Oxford Handbook of Urban Planning, Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Farr, D. (2007) Sustainable Urbanism. Urban Design with Nature, New Jersey: Wiley
- Palermo, P. Ponzini, D. (2010) Spatial Planning and Urban Development. Critical Perspectives, Dordrecht: Springer
- Eraydin, A. Tasan Kok, T. (2013) Resilience Thinking in Urban Planning, Dordrecht: Springer
- UN Habitat (2013) Planning and Design for Sustainable Urban Mobility. New York: Routledge
- COM(2005)718 final, Thematic Strategy on the Urban Environment
- European Commission (2009), Promoting Sustainable Urban Development in Europe, EC DGRP: Brussels
- COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) No 522/2014of 11 March 2014supplementing Regulation (EU) No 1301/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to the detailed rules concerning the principles for the selection and management of innovative actions in the area of sustainable urban development to be supported by the European Regional Development Fund
- Wheeler, S. Beatley, T. (2014) The sustaibanle urban development reader. New York: Routledge
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|
Εκτύπωση Ηλεκτρονικό ταχυδρομείο