MSc in Conservation and Restoration of Historical Structures and Monuments
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||CONSTRUCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF HISTORICAL BUILDING SYSTEMS II|
|Course Unit Code||MACOM05|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Conservation and Restoration of Historical Structures (Required courses for CRHS_ARCH) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||10|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
· Identification, Documentation and Analysis of selected case studies of Historical Building Construction Systems.
· Pathology and Vulnerability of specific Historical Building Construction Systems (stone, brick, wooden and mixed bearing systems).
· Description and identification of selected encountered Historical Building Construction Systems (H.B.C.S) in the wider region of the Eastern Mediterranean Basin (Cyprus, Greece, Italy etc).
· Thorough study on the basic traditional building materials, their properties and the expected behavior of the corresponding structural members.
· Case studies reference of special Local Historical Construction Systems (L.H.C.S.).
· Typical examples of (H.B.C.S) and (L.H.C.S.) with emphasis on their anti-seismic mechanisms and behavior.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
The taught part of the course is delivered to students by means of lectures, conducted by electronic presentations. Lecture notes and pictures are given to students in electronic form.
All course materials will be available to students through the platform e-Learning that is available at the university.
Visits to monuments and traditional buildings: Τhe aim of these visits is to gain experience in the field of identification of the construction systems.
Assignment: Each student should prepare an individual or a group work in collaboration with the tutors of the course.
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|