MSc Manufacturing and Welding Engineering Design
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||RAPID PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT|
|Course Unit Code||MDMD512|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Manufacturing and Welding Engineering Design (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
· Rapid Prototyping process. Process chain, 3D ShapeTechnologies, 3D modelling, Software Engineering, Digital Representation ofShapes, 3D laser scanners and surface generation, Computer tomography and Solidcreation, Different algorithms to represent solid objects. Rapid prototypingdata formats, Data conversion and transmission,Postprocessing.
· Rapid PrototypingTechniques. Stereolithography, Three-dimensionalmodels from liquid photosensitive polymers, Stereolithography apparatus (SLA)machines, Laminated Object Manufacturing, adhesive-coated sheetmaterial, Selective Laser Sintering, Laser beams, Fused DepositionModeling, Solid Ground Curing, 3-DInk-Jet Printing
· Liquid, solid andpowder based rapid prototyping. 3D Systems, Models and specifications,Processes and principles, Microfabrication, Deposition Manufacturingprocess.
· Applications ofRapid Prototyping. Applications in design, engineering, Analysis and planning,Applications in manufacturing and tooling, Aerospace, automotive, biomedical,Jewellery industry.
· Future Developments.Technical evaluation through benchmarking, Industrial growth, Accuracyimprovement and surface finish, Use of new materials like non-polymericmaterials, metals, ceramics and composites, Distance Manufacturing on Demand,Further developments trends.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The taught of course is delivered to the students by means of lectures, conducted with the help of computer presentations. Lecture notes and presentations are available through the web for students to use in combination with the textbooks. Furthermore theoretical principles are explained by means of specific examples and solution of specific problems.|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|