|Course Unit Title||NEW TECHNOLOGIES IN EDUCATION FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT|
|Course Unit Code||ESD511|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Electives Courses) - |
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
- Identify Understand the role and the importance of new technologies for the investigation and promotion of environmental and sustainable development issues in school.
- Distinguish between cases where using new technologies and information and communication technologies as educational tools provide added value in teachers’ efforts to meet educational objectives and develop effective educational environments for EESD.
- Competently use specific software packages and other technological tools for developing educational material for environmental and sustainable development issues.
- Identify environmental units integrated in the National Curriculum which can potentially be explored using new technologies.
- Design and develop educational activities which make use of new technologies.
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||- Introduction to the theoretical framework that describes the relation between EESD and ICT.|
- ICT categories (multimedia software, webpages, digital encyclopaedias, educational gates, concept mapping tools, virtual reality environments…) that can be used by EESD
- Developing and assessing educational material for EESD with the use of ICT. Use of technological equipment for EESD (videocameras, sensors, teleconferencing, touch screens, interactive board) Use of the program “HotPotatoes”.
- Use of open access software in EESD (Power Point, Excel, Access, Front Page, Publisher).
- Developing educational activities with the use of ICT (problem understanding, data collection, programs and equipment options and selection, use of the activity, evaluation of the activity).
- Google Earth and EESD
- Interactive games in EESD
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
- Chalkidis, A., Saridaki ., & Tsakalis, P. (1998), New Technologies Applications in the field of Environmental Education, Ministry of Education – University of Ioannina
- Liarakou, G., & Gavrilakis, K., (2009) ICT contribution in ESD, in Augerinos (Ed) New Technologies Contribution to a Quality University Education, University of Aegean, Primary Education Department, pp 60-71
- Retalis, S., & Loumbardia, E., (2010) Environmental Education and Internet Learning Technologies, Athens, Gkiourdas.
- Gamble, S.C. (1988). Outdoor Education and Computer-Assisted Instruction in Teaching Critical Thinking Regarding Environmental Concepts, Fort Collins, CO: National Association for Interpretation.
- Nceet (1996). Using Computer in Environmental Education: Interactive Multimedia and On-Line learning, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.
- Paas, L. & Creech, H. (2008). How Information and Communication Technologies Can Support Education for Sustainable Development: Current uses and trends, Canada: International Institute for Sustainable Development.
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The module is delivered through lectures and laboratory work, making use of the infrastructure and facilities offered by the University (computer labs).|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|