MSc in Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||NON FORMAL EDUCATION AND EDUCATION FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT|
|Course Unit Code||ESD506|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Education for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Required Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||9|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
|Course Contents||1. Basic concepts, definitions and characteristics of non-formal education. |
2. The role of non-formal education for the promotion of the aims and principles of EESD
3. Elaboration of exemplary applications in educational settings outside school grounds, in Cyprus and abroad. Appreciation of the ways that these settings can promote EESD in schools.
4. Educators’ and schools’ role in promoting non formal education
5. Basic Steps to organising an educational programme for EESD for the local community.
6. Connect non formal education to formal education, placing special emphasis on activities and applications outdoors and in environmental settings connected to the official curriculum.
7. Interventions in local communities and other environmental and outdoors educational settings (sea museum, water museum, traditional workshops, parks, forests, lakes). Organisation of specific activities within these settings.
8. Pedagogical techniques for the environment and sustainable development applicable to non-formal education settings.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods||The theoretical part of the course (content of the taught concepts) is delivered by means of lectures, documentaries viewing and discussing as well as workshops engaging students in collaborative learning. Arrangements are also made for one outdoors study (field work) for acquiring experiences in the field. A three day field trip is arranged to an Environmental Education Centre and experiential learning workshops in the area are organised. |
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||Greek|