MSc in Sustainable Energy Systems
Course Information Package
|Course Unit Title||ENERGY DEMAND MANAGEMENT|
|Course Unit Code||MES531|
|Course Unit Details||MSc Sustainable Energy Systems (Electives Courses) - MSc Energy Systems and the Built Environment (Electives Courses) -|
|Number of ECTS credits allocated||7|
|Learning Outcomes of the course unit||By the end of the course, the students should be able to:|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Recommended optional program components||NONE|
� Operation Planning and Scheduling
- Economic operation of power systems, production control and operation scheduling.
- Short term load forecasting, factors affecting the load prediction forecast.
- Unit commitment, dispatch schedule, cost and efficiency improvement.
- Short term hydro scheduling and hydro thermal co-ordination.
� Generator Scheduling and Control
- Generation Scheduling and Control in Energy Management Systems. Conventional and future structure of generation and control.
- Automatic generation control, turbine governor control, basic automatic generation control algorithm.
- Economic Dispatch, Equal incremental cost method, the ‘b’ coefficient method, Environmental/economic dispatch.
� Commercial operation of deregulated power systems
- The electricity market structures
- Operational experiences: UK national grid system, the electricity system in England and Wales, The role of the NGC, the electricity market place-the pool, pool operation, merit order, commercial market place, operational market place, pool payment and uplift, settlement system, grid system management, operation and control of the national grid by the control centre.
- Problems with pre-NETA (New Electricity Trading Arrangements) conditions, Introduction of NETA and transmission access considerations.
� Power System Stability
- Introduction to power system security
- On-line security analysis and control, static security assessment.
- Security control and stability enhancement, security constrained dispatch, derivation of preventive actions
- Stability enhancement, steady state stability, transient stability, voltage stability planning measures, operational measures.
|Recommended and/or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
|Assessment methods and criteria|
|Language of instruction||English|