When places speak. Exhibition and Panel Discussion
- Exhibition: 13-18 December, 2021 @ Frederick University, Nicosia campus
- Discussion: 15 December, 2021, 18:30-20:00pm, Frederick University, Nicosia campus - Room 29
Frederick University is hosting an on-screen photography exhibition/installation titled “When Places Speak” in the main entrance of its new building in Nicosia.
The exhibition consists of a series of photographs that challenge the viewers to explore the role they can play in combating commercial sexual exploitation.
“When Places Speak” provides a forum for places associated with trafficking to tell their story: from places where victims are recruited to places used by purchasers to meet victims, places used by law enforcement to stop trafficking, and places where victims can transition.
The exhibition is part of a global photography exhibit that aims to raise awareness about trafficking in Cyprus and beyond. By starting dialogues around the places sex trafficking touches, the exhibition sheds light on the fact that it is happening here, in our neighborhoods and communities.
The photographs on-screen at Frederick University were taken by renowned photographer Achilleas Zavallis. The exhibition is curated by project leader Dr Tasoula Hadjiyiannis, Northrop Professor at the University of Minnesota and Mr Nicolas Lambouris, Assistant Professor at the Department of Arts & Communication at Frederick University.
In addition to the exhibition, a panel discussion will take place on Wednesday 15th December, 18:30-20:00, in room 29. The event is hybrid (physical and online). The panelists are:
- Dr Tasoulla Hadjiyanni, Northrop Professor, University of Minnesota (Project Leader)
- Natasa Frederickou, Council President, Frederick University
- Eleni Michael, Office of Combatting Trafficking in Human Beings - Crime Combating Department - Cyprus Police
- Paraskevi Tzeou, Cyprus Stop Traffiking
- Nicolas Lambouris, Assistant Professor, Frederick University
To register to the event, please follow the link: https://frederick.zoom.us/webinar/register/3016390456280/WN_BSXkbBXIS6qadH3uqgQxIA
The exhibition was produced with funding from the University of Minnesota Imagine Funds for the Arts, Humanities, and Design.
- University of Minnesota
- Frederick University
- UNIT [Photography. Film+Media. Center]
- International Association of Photography & Theory [IAPT]
- Cyprus Refugee Council
- Office of Combatting Trafficking in Human Beings - Crime Combating Department - Cyprus Police