Your questions answered

Please browse the below categories with frequently asked questions regarding Studies and Student Services at Frederick University.

If you cannot find what you are looking for feel free to contact us.

  1. What is the duration of undergraduate studies at Frederick University?
    Most undergraduate programs of studies are a duration of four years of full-time study (240 ECTS), apart from Architect Engineer and Pharmacy.
    More information regarding all undergraduate programs offered at Frederick University can be found here 

  2. What is the duration of studies for a postgraduate program at a Master’s level?
    Frederick University offers both conventional and distance-learning Postgraduate Degree Program (Master’s Level).The minimum duration for the Master programmes is three semesters corresponding to 90 ECTS and the maximum duration is 120 ECTS. If the programme includes practical training, this is additional to the duration of the programme.
    More information regarding all postgraduate programs offered at Frederick University can be found here

  3. What are the completion requirements for a PhD degree?
    The Doctoral Program is based on the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). The minimum duration of the Program is six semesters (180 ECTS). Doctoral students may enrol for a full-time or part-time mode of study.
    More information regarding all doctoral programs offered at Frederick University can be found here
  1. Are there any programs of study that are offered online?
    Yes, there are a number of degrees that are offered through the distance learning mode. Visit the Distance Learning page to find out more about available online programs of study and distance learning at Frederick.

  2. How many semesters are there in an academic year?
    One academic year consists of two semesters, the Fall and Spring Semesters. Each semester has a duration of 13* weeks, excluding holidays and final examinations.
    * Based on specific Professional Accreditation requirements, the semester duration for some programs of study may differ.

  3. Where can I see important semester dates?
    Important semester dates can be found in the Academic Calendar that is issued and posted online by the Studies and Student Welfare Service. This year’s academic calendar is available here.

  4. What is the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)?
    Frederick University uses the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS ) for all its programmes of study. ECTS is a tool of the European Higher Education Area , for making studies and courses more transparent. It helps students to have their academic qualifications and study periods recognised when abroad. Each course corresponds to a number of ECTS which represent the student’s workload required to achieve the learning outcomes. More information about the ECTS system is available here

  5. Is class attendance mandatory?
    Students are expected to fully participate in all activities of the registered course (eg lectures, laboratories etc). The majority of courses taught at Frederick University consist of both a continuous (coursework) and a final assessment. Furthermore, the Department has the right to ask students to refrain from taking the final exams if their participation in course activities has not been satisfactory.
    Systematic attendance and participation in all course activities ensure the successful completion of the course and the best possible achievement of its learning outcomes.
  1. Can I transfer credits from previous studies?
    Yes you can. All candidates can apply for transfer credits for courses they have successfully completed in an accredited Academic Institution and / or programme of study in the country that it was offered. It is important to know that certain Academic Recognition and/ or Professional Bodies may have additional requirements pertaining to studies that were completed after transferring credits. For any clarifications, refer to the Admissions Office.

  2. How many courses can I transfer?
    According to the relevant regulations of the Cyprus Council of Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications (KY.S.A.T.S), students can transfer up to 50% of the required ECTS for the completion of undergraduate studies and must study at the awarding institution for at least four full time semesters (for a 240 ECTS undergraduate programme a student can transfer up to 120 ECTS). Post graduate students at the Master’s level can transfer up to 1/3 of the required ECTS for the completion of the Master’s degree (i.e. a student can transfer up to 30 ECTS for a 90 ECTS Master Level Program of Study).

  3. What type of documentation do I need to submit to the University in order for my transfer credit application to be assessed?
    For the unofficial evaluation of your credit transfer application, apart from all the required documents needed for the enrolment to the university, you also need to submit a copy of your previous degree (if one was awarded) and a copy of the academic transcript with the courses and grades that were obtained during your previous studies.

    In order to officially finalise the transfer credits that were approved by your Academic Department, you need to proceed with the verification of your previous academic qualifications by submitting original or certified copies by the Awarding Institution. For more information on the verification process, you can contact the Admissions Office.

  4. Is the degree title awarded by Frederick University, following transfer credits, recognised?
    According to the relevant regulations of the Cyprus Council of Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications (KY.S.A.T.S.) graduates with a degree awarded by a private university of the Republic of Cyprus following transfer credits from previous studies, must have their degree evaluated and recognised by KY.S.A.T.S. It should be noted that this procedure is to be followed only if you wish to receive KY.S.A.T.S recognition in Cyprus. More information on the Application Procedure of KY.S.A.T.S. can be found here

Studies at Frederick University are supported by highly-sophisticated computing and information systems services. The use of these services is an essential element of our university, and it is important that each student be well informed about these services. You can see all relevant University Electronic Services and Software guides here

  1. How can I access Frederick University’s Electronic Services?
    Having an IT student account (student credentials: username and password) is considered a key element to using electronic services at the University. The account is automatically created within a day of your registration at the University along with the issue of the student registration number. You will need your username and password in order to have access to the University wireless network.
  1. What is the University’s wireless network? 
    There are two wireless networks in the University: Eduroam and Frederick. You will need your IT student account in order to connect to either wireless network. Eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. It allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions
  1. How is my Student Email Account (Webmail) created?
    Once an electronic account is created, the student automatically has an email account which is accessible from both the campus network and outside the university. Checking emails is important since announcements by both faculty members and the Studies and Student Services are often sent there. You can access your student email (Webmail) here
  1. Can I receive my emails on my mobile phone?
    Yes you can. Check out the guides for i-phones and androids here
  1. What is the E-learning Platform?
    At Frederick University, an electronic learning platform has been operating since 2008. Through the platform, students can find class notes, submit assignments and access important information regarding their courses. The platform provides the ability for synchronous and asynchronous communication (forums, chat messaging) with instructors and fellow-students thus making it very helpful in learning. Almost all courses are supported by the electronic learning platform which is a basic tool in the educational process for all students.
    You can access E-Learning from both the Campus network and outside the university by using your student credentials.
  1. What is the University Student Portal (Extranet)?
    Extranet is the Student Portal which provides access to useful information about their timetable, messages from their instructors, exams timetables, grades and their academic progress. Through extranet, students can finalise course registration every semester and request official transcripts.
    You can access Extranet from both the Campus network and outside the university by using your student credentials.
  1. How can I contact the IT Services?
    The best way to reach someone from the IT services is to create a ticket through ‘Helpdesk’
  1. How am I assessed in a course?

    Student performance is evaluated for each course separately. Most courses at Frederick University consist of a continuous (coursework) and a final assessment. Both forms of assessment count towards the final grade of a course. Continuous assessment may include mid-term examination, individual or group work, quizzes, presentations, laboratory exercises and etc. Final evaluation is mandatory and may include final written examination, final project etc.For each course, the weighting between continuous and final examination is defined in the course outline which is distributed by the lecturer during the first week of classes. Course outlines are also posted on the university’s Electronic Learning Platform (e-learning).

    Students must obtain at least 50% to pass a course.
Based on the overall performance for each course that a student is registered in, they will receive a Letter Grade, as per the following table:
Course GradeGPA PointsLetter GradeNote
86-100 10 A Excellent
76-85 8 B Very Good
66-75 7 C Very Good
56-65 6 D Fair
50-55 5 E Fair
0-49 0 F Fair
  1. Which Grading System does Frederick University use?
    The grading system used by Frederick University is numerical (0-10). The average of the grades obtained by a student in a semester is represented by the Grade Point Average (GPA) while Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) refers to the overall grade point average across multiple semesters (and/or at any point in the course). You can view more information regarding the grading system in the Student Handbook (pg 13-14).
  1. What happens if I fail a course?
    Students who fail a course (letter grade ‘F’) must repeat the course and pay the equivalent tuition fees. It is possible to repeat the final examination in courses that students failed in the Fall and Spring semester during the Second Examination period given that the course (s) fulfils the required criteria outlined in the Student Handbook (page 20).

    The Second Examination takes place during the two first weeks of September and the student will need to pay a fee for each course that they register to take during that period. If the student passes the course after taking the final examination again during the Second Examination period, they will have no other requirements for that course. In case of course failure during the second examination, the student will need to re-register for the course when it is offered.
  1. When do final exams take place at Frederick University?
    At the end of each semester, students sit final examinations for all registered courses which require a final examination. The Final Examination Timetable for each semester is posted on the university website. Midterm examinations, including quizzes, are not allowed in the final week of semester. The final examinations take place in the specified time frame according to the SSWS published in the Academic Calendar. Students are also able to look up their individualised examination timetable on Extranet (http://extranet.frederick.ac.cy).
    The Second Examination takes place during the first two weeks of September.
  1. How can I be informed of the examination procedure, rules and regulations?
    Students are expected to abide by the Examination Rules and Regulations issued by the Student and Studies Welfare Service. Examination procedures, rules and regulation can be found in the Student Handbook pages 20-23 and on the University Website together with Examination Timetable.
  1. How can I see my semester grades?
    Examination results are published on Extranet and students are able to look up their results using their username and password.
  1. I have a learning difficulty. What kind of support is available for me during final examinations?
    The Counselling Centre provides advice and support for students with a disability or specific learning difficulty. Once your application is assessed and approved by the Counselling Centre staff, you will be able to have access to a number of examination adjustments such as: (a) additional / extra time during examinations (up to 20%), (b) not to be penalised for spelling or grammatical errors, given these are not part of the assessment, (c) to take exams in a room with reduced distractions (d) the assistance of a reader, scribe, or word processor for exams.
  1. When do I register for courses?
    Course registration takes place before the start of each academic semester. Specific dates can be found in the Academic Calendar posted on the University Website.

  2. How do I register for courses?
    Your student path and programme of study requirements should be taken into consideration when registering for a course. Students are expected to meet with their Academic Advisor to discuss and register for courses. Once your Academic Advisor registers you for the courses, you will have to digitally sign the Course Registration Form by ‘Accepting’ your courses on Extranet.

  3. How long after course registration can I drop/add course(s)?
    Students can change course (s) during the first three weeks of each semester. Specifically, students can add courses during the first two weeks of each semester and can drop courses during the first three weeks of each semester. Courses dropped during the first three weeks of the semester will not appear on the student's record.

    Students who wish to withdraw from a course(s) must have the approval of the Academic Advisor and the Department Head, complete the Withdrawal Form and submit it to the Studies Office. Students can obtain the Withdrawal Form from their Department’s Administrative Officer. The Withdrawal request is examined by the Administration Service regarding the tuition fees. Students who do not officially withdraw from a course by the end of the fifth week will be graded with zero ‘0’ by the instructor, even if the student attends the final examination.
  1. Where can I get a Studies Certificate?
    You can request a ‘Studies Certificate’ or any other certification by completing and submitting the relevant form found on Extranet (student services ->student certificate request). Each request takes two (2) to four (4) business days to be processed.
    The university may refrain from issuing particular certificates if there is an outstanding balance.

  2. Can I request an original or certified copy of my academic transcript?
    You can request an original or certified copy of your academic transcript by emailing the Registrar’s office at studies@frederick.ac.cy or by submitting your request by hand to the Student information Desk (Reception Desk) along with a payment of 5 euros per copy.
    The university may refrain from issuing particular certificates if there is an outstanding balance.
  1. What services are provided by the Careers Office?
    The Careers Office of the university is responsible for:
    - providing Career Guidance through personal meetings on practical educational and training matters (assistance in composing a curriculum vitae, advice on job hunting in Cyprus and abroad, scholarships on continuing education etc.)
    - keeping a database with students’ and graduates’ curricula vitae
    - keeping a database with current job, training and continuing education opportunities in Cyprus and abroad
    - organising workshops on professional skills development (Europass CV Workshop, Interview Skills, Job Hunting, Career Planning etc.) and issuing all relevant information
    - informing students and graduates about internships
    - expanding the network of cooperating businesses and organisations in Cyprus
    The Careers Office offers the free of charge online career tool C@reer Connect, which is provided to all students and alumni. The latest Work, Training, Internship, Scholarship and Volunteering opportunities in Cyprus and abroad can be found by visiting the C@reer Connect here.
    Finally, you can book an appointment with a Careers Officer by sending an email to careersoffice@frederick.ac.cy

  2. Are there any job opportunities for students within the university?
    Yes there are and are posted at the beginning of each academic year on the university website.
  1. What is the Counselling Centre?
    The Counselling Centre is an office of the Studies and Student Welfare Service which offers free counselling services to all Frederick students. The Counselling Centre employs a Social Worker and an Educational Psychologist on a full time basis.

  2. When should I visit the Counselling Centre?
    It would be especially helpful to visit the Counselling Centre when feeling or experiencing any of the following:
    - Learning difficulties or disabilities
    - Academic concerns (lack of study or time management skills)
    - Need for personal growth
    - Feelings of sadness or loneliness
    - Issues with sleep or eating habits
    - Issues with interpersonal relationships
    - Loss and grieving
    - Family difficulties
    - Abuse
    - Low self-confidence
    - Self-destructive behaviours
    - Health issues

  3. Where is the Counselling Centre located?
    The Counselling Centre is located on 1st floor, at 25 Democritou street.

  4. How can I make an appointment with a Counsellor?
    You can make an appointment by calling a Counsellor at 22394394, ext.43136, emailing at ad.ks@frederick.ac.cy or visiting the Counselling Centre.

  5. What is the procedure for submitting an application for learning adjustments / accommodations?
    To access support, you should submit evidence of your disability and request an appointment with a Counsellor at the Counselling Centre. A counsellor will then contact you to make an appointment to discuss the support to be provided by the university. You will need to sign your individualised Student Support Plan and a Consent Form. Every semester the accommodations/learning adjustments are re-assessed by the Counselling Centre. The Student Support Plan will be shared with your academic department so they are aware of the required adjustments.

  6. I suspect that I may have a learning difficulty but I have never obtained a diagnosis. What can I do?
    If you suspect you have a learning difficulty, you should arrange a meeting with the a Counsellor from the Counselling Centre to receive help with accessing the necessary community resources for an official diagnosis. Alternatively, you can get an unofficial assessment by the Counselling Centre’s psychologist which will only be valid within the university and for arranging support.

The University, in its effort to ensure that all students are able to pursuit and fulfil their academic goals, has been implementing since 2012 the Student Advocate Service. This scheme allows for students to voice any complaints they may have with administrative or academic processes at Frederick University and ensure their speedy investigation.

Furthermore the Student Advocate is responsible for:

  • listening to the students’ concerns.
  • safeguard all students’ right to equal and fair treatment and access to all University opportunities
  • assisting students in realising their rights as well as their obligations, and helping them evaluate possible alternatives.
  • supporting students towards the successful completion of their academic goals.
  • providing answers to students’ questions and assisting them in finding solutions to any issues that may interfere with their academic performance.
  • investigating students’ complaints and concerns and serving as a liaison between students and the appropriate administrative service or Academic Department.
  • assisting in the evaluation and improvement of current student related services and procedures.
  • providing students with the necessary resources and support in order to achieve their academic goals.
  • working closely with students who exhibit low academic performance in order to determine the difficulties they are facing

At the same time the Student Advocate serves as the liaison between the student and academic and administrative support services in order to improve the student's academic performance and overall student experience.

You can contact the Student Advocate and request an appointment at studentwelfare@frederick.ac.cy


Frederick University Mobility Office aims to facilitate the mobility of students, staff and graduates. The Office supports and encourages all the activities developed within the University’s existing international networks and stimulates new initiatives. The participation in various programs offers members of the Frederick University community the opportunity to experience the benefits of a stay abroad.

  1. What is the ERASMUS+ Programme?
    Frederick University can offer you the opportunity to study abroad, through the Erasmus+, for one semester or one academic year and have an internship abroad in one of the participating countries of the programme. More information can be found here.

  2. What are the selection criteria for participating in ERASMUS?
    For participating in the ERASMUS+ programme under the Mobility of Studies, you should have:
    - Completed at least the first year of studies
    - Satisfactory Academic Performance
    - Sufficient knowledge of the English Language
    - Good Academic Conduct

  3. How can I apply for the ERASMUS+ programme?
    Students who are interested in applying for the ERASMUS+ programme should review the list of Partner Institutions (Institutional Agreements) , complete the application and send it by email to ad.mv@frederick.ac.cy (Varnavas Mytilineos, ERASMUS+ Programme Coordinator.)

  4. Does it cost to participate in the ERASMUS+ programme?
    All ERASMUS+ programmes are funded by the European Union and cover part of the additional costs of living abroad and travel. If you are approved to participate in the ERASMUS+ programme, you will be required to pay your tuition fees at Frederick as every semester. You will not need to pay any tuition fees at the host institution abroad.

  5. How will my participation in the Erasmus+ Programme affect the duration of my studies?
    It will not. The student mobility for studying purposes is based on the mutual recognition of the programmes of study from the sending and hosting institutions. This is achieved through the implementation of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), which is based on the transparency of the information and methodology and the mutual recognition of the programmes of study. The courses attended at the Host Institution, will be transferred back to the student’s transcript of records of Frederick University and the grade will be shown as Pass or Fail; therefore, the GPA of the student will not be affected.

  6. How can I benefit from my participation in the Erasmus+ or other mobility programmes?
    Student mobility greatly enhances student experience and is an activity we want to promote here at Frederick University. Going abroad will provide you with the unique opportunity to expand your knowledge in your field of study, improve your skills, learn new languages and cultures, develop cultural awareness and open-mindedness and boost your future employability.

  7. Where is the Mobility Office located?
    The mobility office is located in the New Wing Building, 2nd floor, tel. 22-394394 ext. 43134
  1. Who is the Academic Advisor?
    All students are assigned to an Academic Advisor whose role is to monitor their academic performance and intervene where necessary, always in collaboration with the Studies & Student Welfare Service. The Academic Advisor is a faculty member of your Academic Department and remains throughout your studies. The name and office hours of a student’s Academic Advisor can be found on Frederick University Extranet.

  2. How often can I meet with my Academic Advisor?
    We advise all students to meet with their Academic Advisor on a regular basis. For this reason, the Studies and Student Welfare Service implements two Consultation Weeks, in each semester, during which all students must meet with their Academic Advisor and discuss their academic progress and concerns.
    Of course, you can always meet with your Academic Advisor throughout the semester as needed and not only during the Consultation Weeks.

  3. I am facing difficulties in my courses. What should I do?
    If you are experiencing any difficulties with your courses, it is important to take action immediately and discuss these difficulties with your lecturer and / or your Academic Advisor in order to agree on an action plan that will help you improve your academic performance.

    Do not forget that all faculty members have office hours. Office hours are scheduled times where you can meet your lecturers outside the classroom and discuss any issues concerning your course. Faculty members’ office hours can be found on Extranet (lecturer TT).

    You can also utilise other student services such as the Counselling Centre and the Student Advocate in order to discuss your difficulties in confidence and implement an action plan that will help you cope with them.

  4. What is the Peer Tutoring Centre?
    The Peer Tutoring Centre is a service provided to students who need help, especially in introductory-level courses (i.e. Maths, Physics etc). Students can visit and receive tutoring services and academic assistance by other University students (Peer Tutors).

    Peer Tutors are students who are employed by the university and who have excelled in the course they tutor. Their goal is to assist students with the course content and help them develop strong academic habits.

    Every semester, the Peer Tutoring Centre’s Timetable is posted on the University’s website and includes the courses offered, the days and times that the Centre operates, as well as the names of the tutors.

    Types of Tutoring Services:
    - One-to-one: Tutees can visit the Centre any time during working hours (drop-in) or after an appointment.
    - Group Review Sessions in the form of workshops, which are scheduled before midterms and exams.
It is highlighted that tutoring services do not substitute lectures or the help that faculty members can provide to students, but simply offer another type of academic assistance in addition to the above.
  1. Am I eligible for an academic scholarship?

    Frederick University provides scholarships to new full time students based on their performance in secondary education. The scholarship applies for the first year of study. From the second year of study, students participate in the scholarship programme of Frederick University “Scholarships during academic studies”. This scholarship is offered based on students’ academic overall performance each semester (CGPA) and ranges between 5% - 50% of the tuition fees. More information on Frederick University Scholarship Schemes can be found in the Student Handbook.

  2. I am an athlete. Can I participate in the university’s athletic teams?
    Frederick University participates with a variety of athletic teams in the Cyprus University Sports Federation (CUSF) tournaments. If you wish to participate in any of our teams, you can do so following your selection during the trials announced before the start of each semester.
    Information on the selection process, semester tournaments and athletic scholarships can be obtained from the Athletic Office in Nicosia (George George) and Limassol (Stella Dimitriou).

  3. What are the Student Sports Clubs?
    Student Sports Clubs give students the opportunity to participate in recreational sports. Students can socialise without competing and be trained under the supervision and instruction of professional instructors aiming at their entertainment and health improvement. Types of Student Sports Clubs include - Circuit Training, Fitness Class, Latin Dances, Climbing, Scuba Diving, Sailing etc. Student Sports Clubs schedule is announced each semester. For some of the excursions, students are expected to sign up. Participation in Student Sports Clubs is free.

  4. Are there any Student Clubs / Associations at the University?
    Yes, and your involvement in student clubs can be extremely beneficial. Every year a Student Clubs Day is organised when students have the opportunity to be informed about the activities of the various clubs/associations, sign up for different clubs or recommend the creation of new ones. Participating in student clubs helps to develop and share your talents, socialise, have fun and develop useful skills such as communication, organisational and leadership skills. It is important to remember that student life is an integral part of the university experience!

    The SSWS issues Participation Certificates for students who have been actively involved in student clubs during their studies. These certificates are very useful as they can enhance one's image in the job market or even when applying for a postgraduate degree.

  5. Where can I find out about activities and events that are organised by Frederick University?
    Every semester, the university organises various educational, recreational, social and athletic activities and events. Participating in these activities will not only help you enjoy a more fulfilling student life, but also help you develop personal, academic and professional skills.

    You can stay informed about all these activities through the university’s news and events, Frederick University’s Facebook page and Instagram account.
  1. When is somebody considered a graduate?
    For a student to graduate, it is required to successfully complete all courses required by their Programme of Study, and have at least 50% in their CGPA (that is 5.0 or more).

    There are three graduation periods at Frederick University: at the end of the Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters (September). Graduating students will need to pay a specific graduation fee (€55).

  2. When does the Graduation Commencement take place for Frederick University Graduates?
    There is only one Graduation Ceremony at Frederick University which takes place in June. Students who graduated in September of the previous year and during the Fall and Spring Semesters of that academic year are eligible for graduation.
    Information and instructions regarding the graduation are posted on the Frederick University Website during the Spring semester.