MSc in Sustainable Energy Systems
|MSc in Sustainable Energy Systems|
Level Of Qualification
|Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|School of Engineering|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The MSc programme is a taught multi disciplinary international programme suitable for applicants from engineering, architecture, planning and other relevant backgrounds, intended to incorporate the latest developments not only in the international scientific field, but also in the European and national regulatory and legal framework.
The students will be introduced to power generation and management technologies, to oil and gas exploration and exploitation technologies, to energy demand management, to environmental impact assessment and to emissions trading. They will obtain the expertise to become active professionals in the broader energy sector, including stakeholders in the electricity and gas market, they will be able to work for and to co-operate with public and local authorities and the energy regulator and the transmission system operator and also to provide consulting services in all these fields.
Also, students will be introduced to the principles and tools of energy and environmental design of buildings, and, by learning to use powerful computer modelling and simulation techniques, they will obtain the expertise to participate in the design process of buildings.
Students will also be acquainted with laboratory and in-situ methods for measuring, monitoring and evaluating the energy efficiency of building systems, of buildings, of renewable and conventional energy systems and of indoor environmental quality conditions, in accordance to legal and best-practice requirements, so as to be able to carry out energy renovation, retrofitting and refurbishment projects. Furthermore, they will learn to evaluate, by means of applying standards and models, the environmental performance of buildings, as needed in order to implement the environmental labelling schemes.
The language of instruction is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate awareness of the content and philosophy of the European and Cypriot legislative framework on energy and relate to the processes and factors that lead to its development;
- analyse the contemporary global, regional and local energy issues and develop systemic, critical and creative thinking about their impact on economic activities;
- demonstrate knowledge and core skills in rational use of energy sources, conventional (oil & gas) and renewable ones, in the power generation field and in the energy management, in the energy design of buildings and in achieving high energy efficiency of new and existing buildings;
- explain the economics of energy, including the security of supply aspects, environmental costs and other externalities;
- assess the performance of buildings and power production sites; enforce pertinent legislation, enhance the issuance of energy-related certification, and better facilitate the environmental labelling procedure and perform feasibility analysis;
- implement the range of European Directives and national legislative acts in the energy and building sector and in the efficient use of conventional and renewable energy resources;
- plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development in a specialist area within the energy sector, demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding;
- critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems within the energy sector and the domain addressed by the programme, incorporating the marketing approach in order to capitalize on the solutions developed;
- communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility.
- use effectively state-of-the-art software tools for energy design of buildings, for dynamic simulation of the building’s performance, for the evaluation of thermal comfort and indoor air quality conditions and for the optimization of energy systems’ selection and sizing;
- gather information about the main local and international funding opportunities for improving the energy efficiency of residential, commercial and public buildings and infrastructure;
- demonstrate the necessary knowledge so that they can become chartered in the professional chambers and association;
- use research results in education, within their professional environments and in society.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The Programme is designed to stimulate and encourage novel and imaginative solutions with respect to their implementation in a real market and a rapidly developing economic environment, surrounding the energy sector and the built environment. The Programme involves theoretical and hands-on learning methods aiming at producing skilled professionals who will be able to effectively enter the competitive European market of energy experts. Graduates of the program acquire a strong qualification that assists them in the professional progress.
The degree greatly enhances the employability of our graduates in public and semi-public organisations, whose work is related to the implementation of energy and environment related legislation and to the operation of the energy market, or in the power generation, the construction and the building materials industries.
The implementation of the Energy Performance Directive in Buildings in 2010 in Cyprus was followed by the increasing demand for more energy efficient buildings, which at the same time ensure a high level of indoor environmental quality. Buildings have to be characterized by the respective energy and environmental studies and certifications and this sets new challenges for engineers and architects, opening at the same time new professional opportunities in the European market for energy professionals. Further, in light of the new developments of oil & gas exploration in the Exclusive Economic Zone of Cyprus, and the immediate needs of providing skilled engineers to support the whole planning and operation, the Degree will allow our Graduates to first penetrate the area and become leaders in this effort.
School of Engineering