BA in Architecture / Diploma Degree of Architect Engineer
Diploma (Dip Arch) in Architectural Engineering 5 years
Level Of Qualification
|4 year Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree),Professional Degree (Diploma) in Architectural Engineering (2nd Cycle Degree).|
|Department of Architecture|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The aim of the Department of Architecture is to educate future architects, providing them with knowledge and sensitivity to the built environment of the European and Mediterranean region and to become an outstanding academic center for studies in the wider European context.
The program duration is five (5) years and leads to the professional degree (Diploma) in Architect Engineer. However, students who wish to obtain a Bachelor degree (Ptychio) in Architecture can do so by completing the first four (4) years of study of the program.
Key Learning Outcomes
Education and training leading to diplomas, certificates and other evidence of formal qualifications referred to in Article 2 shall be provided through courses of studies at university level concerned principally with architecture. Such studies shall be balanced between the theoretical and practical aspects of architectural training and shall ensure the acquisition of:
- an ability to create architectural designs that satisfy both aesthetic and technical requirements;
- an adequate knowledge of the history and theories of architecture and the related arts, technologies and human sciences;
- a knowledge of the fine arts as an influence on the quality of architectural design;
- an adequate knowledge of urban design, planning and the skills involved in the planning process;
- an understanding of the relationship between people and buildings, and between buildings and their environment, and of the need to relate buildings and the spaces between them to human needs and scale;
- an understanding of the profession of architecture and the role of the architect in society, in particular in preparing briefs that take account of social factors;
- an understanding of the methods of investigation and preparation of the brief for a design project;
- an understanding of the structural design, constructional and engineering problems associated with building design;
- an adequate knowledge of the physical problems and technologies and of the function of buildings so as to provide them with internal conditions of comfort and protection against the climate;
- the necessary design skills to meet building users’ requirements within the constraints imposed by cost factors and building regulations;
- an adequate knowledge of the industries, organisations, regulations and procedures involved in translating design concepts into buildings and integrating plans into overall planning.
Extract from the Recommendation concerning a guideline document on establishing an opinion regarding Diplomas in Architecture and their compliance with the Architects Directive 85/384/EEC and adopted by the Committee at its meeting on 7 April 2006 — Advisory Committee on Education and Training in the Field of Architecture — Document MARKT/D/4984/2/2006-EN. See also Article 46 of Directive 2005/36/EC.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
Five (5) year Diploma graduates reserve all the rights given by institutional framework of the Scientific and Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK) as regards their professional license in practicing architecture, equally to any other accredited architectural 5 year graduate Graduates.
Graduates can work at:
- Private architectural, engineering or consulting offices,
- Governmental Services (i.e. Town Planning and Housing, Public Works, Environment, etc)
- Secondary or Higher Education,
- Public Authorities and Bodies ( Cyprus Tourism Organisation, Land Development Organisation, etc),
- Local Governments (Municipalities and Communities),
- Or free lance architects.