BA in Business Administration
BA in Business Administration
Level Of Qualification
Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree)
|Department of Business Administration|
Mode of Study
Full Time or Part Time
The program aims to provide students with the academic and practical knowledge needed for careers in diverse business organizations and further academic studies. The design of the program includes core business fundamentals and problem-solving skills. It constitutes a balance between the theoretical, general, and practical knowledge in the following areas: economics, accounting, business, management, finance, and marketing. Business Administration program provides versatile and transferable skills that students can learn either from their core courses or from three different specializations. Graduating students become business professionals, who are valuable assets to a successful organization, and ready for a variety of business settings.
The language of instruction is English.
The main objectives of the program are:
- To give students relevant knowledge and skills to pursue careers in the area of business administration and further academic studies.
- To develop students’ professionalism – a quality of performing at a high level and conducting oneself with purpose and pride.
- To encourage the development of critical thinking skills and leadership to bring their organizations to a positive change.
- To develop high ethical standards in decision making, understanding of corporate social responsibility and societal expectations.
- For students choosing to specialize in accounting to achieve professional qualifications of chartered or certified accountants, awarded by the Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA), and the Association of International Accountants (AIA).
- For students choosing to specialize in entrepreneurial management to start their own business, join a franchise network, to return to their family business, or find employment in an existing young and growing, small business venture.
- For students choosing to specialize in digital marketing to achieve professional certification Certified Digital Marketing Associate (CDMA) awarded by the Digital Marketing Institute.
Key Learning Outcomes
Consistently with the mission of the university for fostering academic excellence, the program sets the following learning outcomes:
- Provide students with understanding of forms and functions of business organizations, organizational behaviour
- Appreciate the contribution that strategy can make to successful performance, perform competitive and organisational analyses
- Develop students’ management skills
- Formulate and implement human resource strategies that help the firm to achieve a sustained competitive advantage
- Provide students with knowledge of macro- and microeconomics, develop an understanding of issues relating to economic policies
- Develop students’ understanding of international business environment and globalization
- Provide students with computer and statistical analysis skills for analyzing data, reading and understanding academic literature, and performing research
- Equip students with foundation knowledge in accounting and finance necessary for making sound business decisions
- Develop students’ communication skills, craft presentations that inspire, learn to compose and structure business reports
- Share with students the foundation knowledge of the legal framework as applicable to individuals and corporations
- Introduce students to methodologies, tools and technologies involved in marketing and marketing with digital technologies
- Show to students the benefits of teamwork and develop their leadership skills.
Specifically, for the three specialisations of the BA in Business Administration program the learning outcomes are as follows:
- Record, analyze, report and interpret financial accounting information for external reporting purposes
- Use techniques, methods and theories for preparation and audit of financial statements
- Prepare tax computations in various areas of taxation for both individuals and companies and make suggestions for tax planning
- Apply different finance techniques for capital budgeting and financing of investments
- Analyze financial issues relating to financial markets and institutions and techniques for portfolio investments, evaluating risk and the valuation of securities
- Equip students with an understanding of economic and international financial environment
Entrepreneurial management specialization:
- Find and evaluate opportunities to start your own business
- Develop a business plan for a start-up company
- Examine the role of competitive advantage in business using strategic and operational methods
- Develop the skills necessary to manage a start-up, an SME, a franchise outlet, or a family business
- Analyze financial information and other business data to ensure effective managerial decision-making
- Design effective solutions by diagnosing organizational problems
- Recognize and evaluate ethical issues in business
Digital marketing specialization:
- Identify the core principles and purpose of digital marketing in the creation of successful marketing and integrated marketing communications plans
- Generate digital marketing communications strategies and execute digital display campaigns
- Use suitable social media channels for different business goals and objectives
- Apply search engine optimization techniques to increase website visibility
- Comprehend the process of developing e-commerce strategies
- Appreciate the importance of digital interfaces and argue on best practices for their development to support marketing.
- Perform data analysis and utilize visualization techniques to extract useful information for strategic decision making.
- Extract and report on data from social media platform analytics tools and utilize it to inform future campaign objectives
- Utilize state-of-the-art technologies and platforms related to digital marketing.
Exemptions from Professional Examinations
The program provides the following exemptions from professional accounting bodies:
- Up to 9 out of 13 examinations of the Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Up to 9 out of 14 examinations of the Association of International Accountants (AIA)
- Eligible to have full exemptions from the ACCA’s Foundations in Accounting (FIA) qualification. These include the following:
- ACCA Diploma in Financial and Management Accounting (RQF Level 2);
- ACCA Diploma in Financial and Management Accounting (RQF Level 3)
- ACCA Diploma in Accounting and Business (RQF Level 4).
- Due to the exemptions from FIA, students who complete the degree program are offered a technician-level qualification – the Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) Qualification. To achieve this award, they also need one year's relevant practical experience in an accounting role and completing an online course in ethics.
The above exemptions pave the way for graduates to obtain professional qualifications that are invaluable for a career in accounting and finance.
Students who undertake the digital marketing specialisation will be fully accredited by the Digital Marketing Institute and will receive the industry recognised, internationally accepted Certified Digital Marketing Associate (CDMA) certification. Digital Marketing Institute is responsible for certifying the highest number of professionals trained to a single digital education standard across 115 countries and has over 55,000 members globally. The CDMA certification is mapped to the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) and is also defined in terms its position within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) system.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program have flexible employment opportunities. They have the knowledge and skills required for becoming entrepreneurs running their own, self-administrated business. The program is also designed to provide students with the qualifications needed to pursue a career as marketers and digital marketing experts. They fulfil the requirements for employment in the public or private sectors as officers, assistant managers, or managers in organisations and/or businesses. They can also be employed in the industry, in banks, cooperatives, semi-governmental bodies and in areas related to accounting and finance. The graduates of the Program can also be employed as educators in public or private secondary schools.